Back Pain Treatment NYC
Fifth Avenue offers effective, non-invasive back treatment in 2 locations in the New York Metropolitan area:
What is Lower Back Pain?
It occurs as a result of the trauma, accident or it may develop due to the aging process of the spine, or simply poor posture or overuse.
Commonly the cause of the back pain is mechanical secondary to a disc, joint, tendon, muscle or ligament. Back problems are the 5th most common health issue people face in the world.
It may also refer to the lumbosacral region. A part of your back where the spine meets the pelvis and otherwise known as Sacro-iliac joint pain. This is one of the more common in pregnant women, but it can afflict anyone.
Many suffer due to acute back pain, which lasts from a few days to a few weeks. Sub-acute back pain can last between 4 and 12 weeks while chronic is greater than 3 months. Be aware of these time frames and see your physical therapist or doctor ASAP.
At Fifth Avenue Physical Therapy & Wellness, we have years of experience in many different cases. We are even trusted by professional athletes and physical therapy for both the US Olympic and Paralympic team. So, if you are in pain currently and need support call us on 212-529-5700 or scroll to the top to book an appointment with one of our team.
Common Causes of Back Pain
There are a lot of conditions that can cause pains in the back. Most may involve nerve compression that may generate pain and other symptoms. Spinal disorder types such as trauma-related, and degenerative, means age-related.
Some of the spinal problems are,
- Spinal arthritis – is also called spinal osteoarthritis is a common degenerative spine problem. You will affect the spine’s facet joints and contribute to the development of bone spurs.
- Bulging – A herniated disc occurs when soft interior matter escapes through ruptures or cracks through the disc’s protective outer layer. Both discs issues cause pain, inflammation, and nerve compression.
- Vertebral fractures – it is often caused by types of trauma.
- Spinal stenosis – it develops when the nerve passageway or a spinal canal abnormally narrows.
- Tumors in spinal – you can notice abnormal growth of cells and are diagnosed as benign or malignant.
Lower Back Pain Relief at Home
If you have recently injured your low back, few things you can follow:
- Ice then heat – During the first 24 to 48 hours, use ice wrapped in a cloth or towel. This method helps to minimize muscle spasms, swelling, and pain. Then switch to heat. Heat helps warm and relaxes the sore tissues.
- Warning: Make sure not to apply a hot or cold source directly into the skin, always wrap it in something.
- Counter medications – Advil or Tylenol taken per package directions may help to reduce the pain and inflammation.
If the issue persists you may need to speak to a specialist who can help you with medication and treatment. If you’d like to book a physiotherapy appointment with us click here.
When to Seek Medical Attention
- Weak legs, tingling or numb – means that there is involvement of nerves and requires immediate attention.
- Fever or abdominal pain – a sign of an infection or a condition which requires surgery such as appendicitis. Infections in disks, pelvis, bladder, vertebrae can cause back pain.
- Back pain spread down the legs – it spreads below the knee. It could be a sign that you a bulging or herniated disk.
- Blood in urine – A sign of kidney stones can cause back pain and may become worse during urination. You will feel the pain from one side.
- Losing weight and can’t explain why – a sign of colon, ovaries or rectum cancer.
- Back pain at night – pain in the back causes you not able to sleep should not be dismissed. A sign of spinal tumors or even cancer.
Symptoms of Lower Back Pain
- Bowel loss
- Sharp pain
- Bladder control
- Muscle spasms
- Movement of spine pain
- Pulsating pain
- Needles sensation
Who is at Risk of Back Pain?
Most of the people get their first time in their 30’s. The odds of additional attacks increase with the age. Other reasons are
- Heavy lifting jobs
- Being overweight
- Inactive lifestyle
At Fifth Avenue we combine yoga, martial arts, sports, physical therapy and functional strength training into many of the workouts, enabling you the patient, to heal while improving your overall health and fitness level.
We specialize in creating sport-specific workouts for all sports and customizing physical and fitness training sessions to meet your rehabilitation goals and needs of your body. Dr Scott Weiss and his staff combine techniques of present-day physical therapy with a balance from the healing arts of the east.
He or she must take tests to diagnose what is causing your problem. Unless you are mobilized from a back injury, your doctor probably tests your range of motion, nerve function and press on the back to locate the discomfort area.
Urine and blood tests may have to be done, to make sure the pain is not caused by infection or other systematic problem. X-rays are always useful in knowing broken bones, or other skeletal defects. Analyze the soft tissue for issues such as herniation; magnetic resonance imaging scans may be needed.
X-rays and imaging studies are not indicated for first-time back pain that caused by overuse type injury and used for checking out ongoing pain, fever, weakness, numbness.
Treatments for Chronic Pain
It varies depending on the source and the type of pain. If the treatable source found, then underlying the process is treated. As well as reducing pain it improves the quality of life and increases the overall function.
Treatments include several categories such as physical therapy, coping skills, medications, acupuncture and medical procedures, etc. Healthcare providers will tailor a program that addresses the patient’s needs.
Acute Back Pain Causes
It occurs due to a sudden injury to the ligaments and muscles that support the back. The main causes of pain are strained or spasm or tears in the muscles and ligaments. Common causes include:
- Tense muscles
- Herniated disk
- Spinal cord fracture
- Cancers involved in the spine
Treatments for Acute Pain
Physical therapy modalities such as traction, ultrasound, mobilization, electrical stimulation and manipulation can be required. A physical therapist offers more advice and educates on strategies for resuming activities, prevention of recurrence, conditioning, restoring motion and achieving a comfortable sleep.
For people who suffer recurrent back pain, medication is necessary as well as a physical therapist supervised exercise program is advisable. Emphasis placed on optimizing trunk or “core” strength and thus improves general flexibility.
What to Expect from Physical Therapy?
- An initial evaluation is the first process, prepare yourself to be moved around a bit (wear comfortable clothes and make sure the lower back is accessible)
- You will be asked about your present problem and history.
- Some questions will help us to understand the nature of the problem.
- Measurements will be taken on your movement (range of strength and motion)
It is important for you to be proactive in your treatment.
What to Expect from Fifth Avenue?
People suffering from acute and chronic back pain (article) are welcome to come to our healthcare center. Our multidisciplinary approaches by skilled and licensed professionals treat you with care and support to help you with your back pain.
Our licensed therapists are well qualified in manual therapy, therapeutic exercise, and manipulation of the spine, joints, Chinese medicine and tissues to get rid of pains in the back naturally without using any drugs.
Contact Fifth Avenue for Lower Back Pain Treatment & Therapy in New York, NYC
If you require therapy for lower back pain, then please contact us at 212 529 5700. Or you can fill in your details in the contact form below and we will get back to you.